Lead Software Engineer
Purpose of the role
Lead Software Engineers are responsible for improving how Redgate builds and maintains software, alongside actively contributing to product development.
About the role
The Lead Software Engineer role is responsible for the quality of engineering practices within a product team, and the development of those skills within the team. The Lead Software Engineers themselves work across teams to identify cross-team improvements for Redgate by (for example) sharing code, removing complexity or implementing new practices.
A lead software engineer will be doing most of the points below consistently.
- Acts as an exemplar software engineer and is an excellent role model to the team.
- Provides leadership for the team on learning, practicing and implementing appropriate technical practices to increase the quality and speed of work produced.
- Balances workload of team work and group work, and makes prioritization calls.
- Leads change across teams by building awareness, creating desire, providing the knowledge, action and reinforcement.
- Actively develops their team members, giving them opportunities and motivation to improve and grow professionally, focusing on technical improvements.
- Grows the skills of others by mentoring, coaching, delegating or teaching as appropriate.
- Experience of a range of software, including different programming languages and software models (e.g. desktop, web, API).
- Continually works to keep up to date with industry trends and experience from relevant areas of technology.
- Strong software design skills, including a broad base of principles, such as domain-driven design, design patterns and SOLID.
- Contributes opinions on valuable work (including the “why”), but is willing to change directions based on new evidence.
- Communicates workload both within the team and through the work of the LSE group.
- Collaborates across teams as necessary to promote engineering practices.
- Seeks out expertise and advice on problems.
- Displays a strong sense of empathy and adapts approaches by recognizing the feelings of others.
- Uses appropriate mechanisms (communities of practice, lightning talks, open spaces) to communicate and share technology and practice to improve Redgate.
- Works with Product Leadership Groups to build a technical strategy for the product and prioritize it accordingly on the product road map.
- Brings new engineering practices and technical innovation to take Redgate products to the next level.
- Actively promotes technical work in terms of business outcomes, using a strong relationship with the Product Leadership Group for their area.